Crochet Butterfly Easter Egg
It’s an Easter Egg Crochet Along! This is my 2nd easter egg crochet along. This year I hooked up a Crochet Butterfly Easter Egg. If you remember last year I hosted my Easter Weekend Mystery Fun. It was a lot of fun and there were so many lovely eggs I knew I had to do it again. I figured sometime over the year I would find a stitch to use that would work for an easter egg.
Shortly after making my mandala for Marinke I got the idea to use my butterflies on an egg and they have turned out perfect!
To enter this years Easter Egg crochet along hook up either last years egg (available HERE), this years egg (available below) or the Cupcake Easter Egg (Available HERE). Continue reading for details on how to enter your egg for a chance to win some free patterns.
All 3 eggs take maybe about an hour without any interruptions. Check out my videos on YouTube.
Crochet Butterfly Easter Egg Crochet Along..
To participate in the Crochet Butterfly Easter Egg crochet along you’ll need some worsted weight scrap yarns in easter egg colours, a small amount of stuffing and a US G6/4.00mm hook.
Hook up at least one of my 3 easter eggs or one of each. Let’s fill up social media with a bunch of eggs!. Once you’ve hooked up your egg(s) share them on one of the following..
- Share on my Facebook Wall with the hash tag #hookmagic
- Tweet your image with the hashtag #HookMagic
- Instagram your image with the hashtag #HookMagic
- ‘Hook Up‘ on Ravelry. Use the project button to create a project, if you don’t know how to create a project of your work on Ravelry I’ve made a tutorial to help you along HERE.
Hook Up on Revelry..
- Facebook – 1 winner will win 1 free pattern of choice
- Twitter – 1 winner will win 1 free pattern of choice
- Instagram – 1 winner will win 1 free pattern of choice
- 100 Eggs – If 100 new eggs are hooked up on ravelry, I will make my Crocodile Crochet Bonnet video tutorial public on YouTube.
- Ravelry – All ‘Hook Up‘s’ added to Ravelry will be entered into a random draw to win one of 3 prizes from my Ravelry Shop..
- 3 winners will win one eBook.
- 3 winners will win 3 free patterns of choice.
- 3 winners will win 1 free pattern of choice.
Make sure to ‘Hook Up‘ your project by Monday March 28th, 2016 at Midnight EST.
TO BE ANNOUNCED
- Facebook – Cecelia Edwards – 1 free pattern of choice
- Twitter – Kimberly Addison – 1 free pattern of choice
- Instagram – Andi Williams – 1 free pattern of choice
- We didn’t have enough eggs.
- eBook winners.. candypellerin, Truus35, ceceliapate
- 3 free pattern winners.. tish3185, bejb2012, leenybeany
- 1 free pattern winners.. Andi822, pbeanie30, missbeavis
Crochet Butterfly Easter Egg Pattern Notes..
(MC – White / AC1 – 2 Easter Colours / AC2 – Butterfly)
Hook: US G6/4.00mm
Size: One Size
Supplies: A handful of stuffing or yarn scraps for stuffing.
- dc-pop-st – 4 dc in same st, on last stitch draw up a 1” loop, remove hook, insert hook into beg dc, attach loop onto hook and draw up a loop.
- hdc-pop-st – 4 hdc in same st, on last stitch draw up a 1” loop, remove hook, insert hook into beg hdc, attach loop onto hook and draw up a loop.
- sc-dec – insert hook in next st, yo, draw up a loop, insert hook into next st, yo, draw you a loop, yo, draw through all loops on hook.
- Do not join unless otherwise specified, pattern is worked in the round, no turning.
- Use a stitch marker in beg st of each rnd so you do not lose your place.
- Carry up MC colour as you work, other colours will be listed when to fasten off.
Crochet Butterfly Easter Egg Video Tutorial..
Crochet Butterfly Easter Egg Pattern..
Rnd 1: starting MC and a magic ring work 6 sc in ring, tighten ring, do not join. (6 sc)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around. (12 sc)
Rnd 3: (sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc) around 6 times drawing up AC1 in last st. (18 sc)
Rnd 4: (sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc) 3 times drawing up MC in last st, fasten off AC1. (21 sc)
Rnd 5: (sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc) 3 times. (24 sc)
Rnd 6: sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, (sc in next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc) 2 times, sc in next 4 sc. (27 sc)
Rnd 7: (sc in next 8 sc, 2 sc in next sc) 3 times. (30 sc)
Rnd 8: sc in each sc around drawing up AC2 in last sc. (30 sc)
Rnd 9: *hdc-pop-st in next sc, ch 1, sk 1 sc, hdc-pop-st, ch 3, sk 2 sc, rep from * around, join with sl st to beg hdc-pop-st drawing up MC. (12 pop st, 6 ch1 sps, 6 ch3 sps)
Rnd 10: *ch 3, sk ch1 & pop sts, hdc in next 2 sk sc from prev rnd, rep from * around, join with sl st to beg ch drawing yp AC2. (30 sts)
Rnd 11: (when working in all the ch1 sps make sure to work in the ch3 sp from rnd 10 as well) sl st into ch1 sp from rnd 9, ch 3 (counts as beg dc), 3 dc in same ch1 sp, remove hook, insert hook into beg dc, attach loop onto hook and draw up a loop, ch 3, dc-pop-st in same ch1 sp, ch 3, *dc-pop-st in next ch1 sp, ch 3, dc-pop-st in same ch1 sp, ch 3, rep from * around, join with a sl st to beg dc-pop-st drawing up MC fasten off AC2. (12 pops sts, 12 ch3 sps)
Rnd 12: ch 1, *3 sc in next ch3 sp, hdc in next 2 sk hdc from prev rnd, rep from * around, join with sl st to beg sc. (30 sts)
Rnd 13: sc in each st around. (30 sc)
NOTE: at this point tie off and fasten off ends inside the egg, work butterfly bodies and antenna now (directions posted below) then continue working egg in the rnd without joining..
Rnd 14: (sc in next 8 sc, sc-dec) 3 times. (27 sc)
Rnd 15: (sc in next 7 sc, sc-dec) 3 times drawing up AC1 in last st. (24 sc)
Rnd 16: sc in next 2 sc, sc-dec, (sc in next 6 sc, sc-dec) 2 times, sc in last 4 sc drawing up MC in last st, fasten off AC1. (21 sc)
Rnd 17: (sc in next 5 sc, sc-dec) around 3 times. (18 sc)
Note: Egg can be stuffed now or after next rnd.
Rnd 18: (sc in next sc, sc-dec). (12 sc)
Rnd 19: sc-dec around, fasten off, weave in ends (Tail can be used to sew the hole shut). (6 sc)
Hook: US G6/4.00mm
Insert hook into skipped stitch from rnd 9 between the two hdc-pop-sts from the front, ch 3, push beg tail to back of work, insert hook into ch3 sp from rnd 11, sl st using the beg tail to work with, fasten off, gentle snug the two strands and tie in a knot or two. Video tutorial available on my blog here.. dearestdebi.com/dearest-debi-crochet-mandala-for-marinke
~This pattern is free to view online or you can purchase a pdf copy via Ravelry.~