Crochet Sesame Street Fun Fur Characters
Crochet Sesame Street Fun Fur Characters includes instructions to make Oscar the Grouch, Big Bird, Cookie Monster and Elmo. Elmo is sitting in a fish bowl!
Thanks to Michelle from Shell’s Yarnicles for the great ideas for these characters. She told me about the idea and we both got to work on a character. I started with Oscar the Grouch and she worked up Cookie Monster.
My original intention was to use fun fur for Oscar but I didn’t have a green colour I was happy with and I also know that a lot of people struggle with eyelash type yarns so I kept my original design simple. Now onto the fun fur design!
The Crochet Sesame Street Fun Fur Characters pattern is worked in 3 parts. The base, The continued Base and Body. The base and body are both worked the same and the continued base for each character is different.
Since fun fur is a harder type of yarn to work with this pattern is rated as a proficient pattern. Which Crochet Sesame Street Fun Fur Characters are you going to make?
Crochet Sesame Street Fun Fur Characters Pattern Notes..
Click HERE for pattern difficulty ratings.
- Base: Each character you will want approximately 120 yards of a #4 worsted weight yarn like Caron Simply Soft Yarn Grey Heather or Red Heart Soft Yarn Chocolate (For Big Bird I used Red Heart Soft Touch Yarn Vanilla Swirl but I had to switch to a larger hook US I9/5.50mm)
- Body: Each characters body is made using eyelash yarns. I used 1 – 50g ball of Sirdar Funky Fur in the colour yellow for big bird and I used 1 – 50g ball ofLion Brands Fun fur for Elmo. Both these yarns work up differently, the sirdar was best to work with hdc and the lion brand was best to work in dc stitches, the body patterns are written in dc, if you have a thinner eyelash yarn use hdc sts. (I’d only recommend using the thicker lion brand eyelash yarn, it works up much nicer!)
- Appliques: You will need some worsted weight yarn for the Appliques, this is a great time to use up some of that scrap yarn.
- US H8/5.00mm
- I used the lid of a sour cream container that measures approximately 4.625″ in diameter.
- Using one strand of worsted weight yarn – 3.75 hdc = 1″
- It’s useful to use a stitch marker in the first stitch of each rnd.
- Do not join rnds unless specified.
Looking at your work as shown below, insert your hook into the back ridge of the hdc from hdc-dec rnd, draw up a loop, ch 2, hdc in same space, 2 hdc in each st around, join with a sl st to 2nd ch of beg ch2. (48 hdc)
Crochet Sesame Street Fun Fur Characters Pattern..
(Click on the pink download arrow for download options.)
I would love to see the characters you make, please share your Crochet Sesame Street Fun Fur Characters on my Facebook WALL or hook up your project on Ravelry.