Crochet Cactus Tea Cozy
Crochet Cactus Tea Cozy is inspired by Ida’s beautiful work. She has created some of the most beautiful Crochet Tea Cozies. Her work has inspired me to create my own Crochet Rose Bud Tea Cozy and now this awesome Crochet Cactus Tea Cozy. You can check out Ida’s beautiful crochet work on Pinterest.
Crochet Cactus Tea Cozy Pattern..
Click HERE for pattern difficulty ratings.
- ch up – Chain Up – Insert your hook into the first st, yo, draw up a loop, you will have 2 loops on your hook, yo, draw up through both loops on hook, insert your hook into the center of the stitch you just created, yo, draw up a loop, you will now have 2 stitches on your hook, yo draw through both loops on hook. (If you have trouble with this method you can use a ch3 instead.)
- fpdc – Front Post Double Crochet
- bpdc – Back Post Double Crochet
- yo – Yarn Over
Gauge: 7 dc x 4 rows of pattern = 2”
- Turn work at the beginning of each row.
- ch up counts as 1st dc.
- If you do not know how to make a magic ring for the cozy top you can ch 3, join with sl st to beg ch to form a ring, continue working row.
Ch 20, dc in 4th ch from hook (1st 2 dc made), dc in each ch across. (18 dc)
Row 2: ch up, dc in each st. (18 dc)
Row 3: ch up, bpdc in next st and each st across. (18 sts)
Row 4 – 17: rep rows 2 & 3 consecutively.
Row 18: ch up, dc in next 3 sts, ch 10, sk 10 sts, dc in last 4 sts. (18 sts)
Row 19: ch up, dc in next 3 dc, dc in next 10 chs, dc in last 4 dc. (18 dc)
Row 20: ch up, fpdc in next st and each st across. (18 sts
Row 21: ch up, dc in each st. (18 dc)
Row 22 – 35: rep row 20 & 21 consecutively.
Place work with wrong sides facing each other, for the next row you will start working through both layers of work.
Row 36: ch 1, sc in beg st, sc in next 3 sts, working through one layer only, sl st in next 12 sts, working through both layers, sc in last 2 sts, fasten off, weave in ends.
Starting with a magic ring, ch 1, work 5 sc in ring, tighten ring, do not join. (5 sc)
Rnd 2: 2 dc in each st around. (10 dc)
Rnd 3: *dc in next st, fpdc in same st, rep from * around. (20 sts)
Rnd 4: *(dc in next st, fpdc in same st) 2 times, dc in next st, fpdc in next st, rep from * around. (30 sts)
Rnd 5: *(dc in next st, fpdc in next st) 2 times, (dc in next st, fpdc in same st) 2 times, rep from * around. (40 sts)
Rnd 6: *2 dc in next st, fpdc in next st, rep from * around, fasten off leaving long enough tail for sewing. (60 sts)
Attaching top to sides..
Line up your top ribs with the side ribs. You will have 2 extra ribs and they will line up with the first row of dc and the last row of dc as pictured below.
Using a whip stitch sew the top to the sides.
Adding Fun Fur..
Sew fun fur in and out of your stitches between ribbing.
Crochet Cactus Flower..
Add finishing touches to you Crochet Cactus Tea Cozy by adding a Crochet Cactus Flower. Pattern for the flower available HERE.
If you’ve made a crochet cactus tea cozy please share your pictures on my Facebook WALL or hook up your project on Ravelry.